Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Horse Smiles

Getting a new horse makes me smile! It's like I'm a child and walked out to the livingroom on Christmas morning to find a huge gift with my name on it! For me it is a gift that keeps on giving!

The newest (temporary) addition to North Star Horsemanship is named Destiny. Destiny is a beautiful grulla paint that my assistant and I found at a local auction. She had one little scratch on her face and her hooves were a bit long, but otherwise healthy and sound. My assistant and I kept looking at her and petting on her. She was so sweet and curious. A woman working there estimated that the horses would sell around 4pm, the time my last lesson began. A bit disappointed that we wouldn't be able to help this little mare, we drove back to the barn to finish our day. I got a call at 5:30 saying that the horses hadn't sold yet. The scale had broken down and was slowing the sale. I debated whether or not to go back, knowing pretty well that my heart would win the battle over my wallet if I walked through that door. I pulled into the parking lot and about 15 minutes later she was mine!

We decided Destiny was the perfect name as there were so many things that day that happened to get me there in the middle of the day to meet her and slow the sale for me to be there in time to buy her. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure she's the only one who went to a "home". It saddens me to think of the others who may not have been so lucky...

I showed up this morning to pick her up and the gentleman saw the halter and rope in my hand and told me he didn't think I'd want to try to put a halter on as she "wasn't too friendly". I told him that I was going to need to lead her through a barn when I got her to where I was going. The look on his face told me that he thought I was out of my mind, but wasn't going to say so! Destiny was so wonderful! When I put pressure on her, she moved away. When I stepped back, she turned and faced me. 15-20 minutes later she was wearing a halter and I wish that gentleman could have seen us walking out with her halter on!

It is clearly obvious that Destiny is not halter trained, but she was trying very hard to get it right. I'd pull and she'd take a few steps. She jumped right into the trailer as if to say, "Get me out of here!"

When we got to the barn it took both my mom and me to get her into the stall. My mom was putting small amounts of pressure with a training stick from behind and I had the lead. Although it took two of us, it actually took very little effort. She walked right into her stall and started munching on hay. She tolerated being stared at and admired all day. She even took some hay and an apple core from a little girl.

Before I left the barn for the day, I stood at her stall and scratched her neck. She seemed to like that and even let me touch her face and ears. She has the type of personality that is priceless. She knows nothing, yet tries so hard... even when she isn't aware that a reward is coming her way. I can see that I'm going to have fun with her during our time together. We will accomplish much and I am excited for Thankgiving to come around and look back to this day and say, " I can't believe this is the same horse...." I smile... thinking of the endless possibilities that this young mare now has. I smile... thinking that one day this young mare will have a home of her own. I smile... knowing that her new home will not dwell on where she came from, but cherish the horse she has become. I smile...because I was able to be part of this horse's destiny and it is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, congrats! What a wonderful opportunity for her to really flourish! She will enjoy learning - it's obvious already!

    ReplyDelete